Preliminary estimates suggest up to 22,000 have died in Mariupol, Donetsk military governor says
The situation in the besieged city of Mariupol was "difficult," the military governor of the Donetsk region said Tuesday, citing preliminary estimates that as many as 22,000 people had died in the city.
"The Mariupol situation makes it difficult to comment on the number of casualties, the city is under siege and blockaded," Pavlo Kyrylenko, the head of the Donetsk regional military administration, told CNN. "We are currently discussing 20,000 to 22,000 people dead in Mariupol."
Kyrylenko also addressed reports of a possible chemical attack in Mariupol, details of which have yet to be fully confirmed.
"We know that last night around midnight, a drone dropped some so-far-unknown explosive device, people who were in the area in and around the Mariupol metallurgical plant, three people began to feel unwell," he said. "What we have heard was that there were three people who were affected, taken to hospital, given medical assistance, at the moment their lives were not in danger."
The regional military governor said the reports from the scene were preliminary, so he could not "100% confirm or comment on them," but said he could confirm that the incident happened.
Battles in east could decide Ukraine's fate, Kyiv says313Yesterday, 23:00
President Sheikh Khalifa dies aged 73173313.05.2022, 15:06
Chinese plane catches fire at airport during takeoff (video)153312.05.2022, 09:48
EU official Charles Michel on Odessa trip forced to take cover during strike143409.05.2022, 21:30
Russian attack in eastern Ukraine kills 10, injures 15144103.05.2022, 20:48
Russia so far lost 15,000 troops in Ukraine: UK defense secretary125625.04.2022, 23:12