Trump Approves Strikes on Iran, but Then Abruptly Pulls Back
President Trump approved military strikes against Iran in retaliation for downing an American surveillance drone, but pulled back from launching them on Thursday night after a day of escalating tensions.
As late as 7 p.m., military and diplomatic officials were expecting a strike, after intense discussions and debate at the White House among the president’s top national security officials and congressional leaders, according to multiple senior administration officials involved in or briefed on the deliberations.
Officials said the president had initially approved attacks on a handful of Iranian targets, like radar and missile batteries.
The operation was underway in its early stages when it was called off, a senior administration official said. Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down, the official said.
Revealed: The Explosive Secret Recording That Shows How Russia Tried To Funnel Millions To The “European Trump”88510.07.2019, 21:40
Iran promised to destroy Israel in case of attack of United States of America174402.07.2019, 11:15
Trump plans to leave intelligence units in Afghanistan167502.07.2019, 10:40
G20 summit: Trump and Xi agree to restart US-China trade talks211729.06.2019, 10:50
G20 summit: Trump jokes to Putin about Russian election meddling (photo, video)218428.06.2019, 19:25
Georgia's parliament speaker resigns248521.06.2019, 15:43