US State Department closing office aimed at countering foreign disinformation
![]() U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Wednesday he was shutting down a State Department office that had sought to counter foreign disinformation, accusing it of censorship and wasting U.S. taxpayer money. The GEC had already shut down in December 2024 under former Democratic President Joe Biden after Congress did not extend its mandate that was set to expire. It was reorganized to create a different public diplomacy office known as R/FIMI. The GEC had come under intense criticism from some Republicans who said it was straying from its mission, accusing it of disfavoring opinions by conservative media in particular. |

Bad weather, love arch destroyed at Meledugno in Salento (video)
11611:25
Death isn't the end: Meta patented an AI that lets you keep posting from beyond the grave
294Yesterday, 22:40
Pentagon Used Anthropic’s Claude in Maduro Venezuela Raid
206Yesterday, 21:12
India Orders 288 Anti-Aircraft Missiles for S-400 Air Defense Systems from Russia
200Yesterday, 19:46
China Bought Some Venezuelan Oil From the US, Wright Says
73613.02.2026, 00:18
Ali Eyal wins the Hammer Museum's Mohn Award worth $100,000
73713.02.2026, 00:01
