Spain declares three days of mourning as floods kill at least 72 people in Valencia region
![]() The Spanish government has declared three days of mourning for the victims of devastating flash floods in the south and east of the country. Emergency services in the eastern region of Valencia confirmed 70 people have died after flash floods swept away cars, turned village streets into rivers, and disrupted rail lines and major roads on Wednesday. Another two casualties were reported in the neighboring Castilla La Mancha region. “We are facing a very difficult situation,” said Spain’s minister of territory policies, Ángel Víctor Torres. “The fact that we can’t give a number of the missing persons indicates the magnitude of the tragedy.” The country’s defence minister, Margarita Robles, said more than 1,000 troops backed by helicopters were being deployed in the face of “an unprecedented phenomenon”. Videos posted to social media showed police and rescue services using helicopters to lift people from their homes and rubber rafts to reach drivers stranded on top of cars. Rainstorms on Tuesday caused flooding in a wide swathe of southern and eastern Spain, stretching from Malaga to Valencia. Floods of mud-coloured water tumbled vehicles down streets at high speeds, while pieces of wood swirled in the water with household items. Police and rescue services used helicopters to lift people from their homes and rubber boats to reach drivers trapped on the roofs of cars. Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez said dozens of towns had been flooded. “For those who are looking for their loved ones, all of Spain feels your pain,” Mr Sanchez said in a televised address. ![]() ![]() |

Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
30200:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
301Yesterday, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
355Yesterday, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
276Yesterday, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
390Yesterday, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
66613.08.2026, 22:53


