The Latest: Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence
Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence.
A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper’s office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting fell on him. Other deaths have been reported earlier in South Carolina and Virginia.
Cooper, meanwhile, has praised efforts of first responders who evacuated people from rising floodwaters. His statement says that in the past week, first responders and emergency teams have conducted nearly 5,000 rescues in storm-ravaged areas. That’s twice as many people as were saved after Hurricane Matthew.
About 56,000 homes and business remain without power as of Friday afternoon.
NYC weather: 1st snow of the season hits the 5 boroughs (photo, video)480Yesterday, 15:15
California: Camp fire missing soars past 600 with death toll up to 63 (photo)479Yesterday, 12:20
Spanish Mediterranean on high alert for heavy rainfall (video)502Yesterday, 12:05
Death Toll from California Wildfires Rises to 59, 130 Still Missing83215.11.2018, 11:05
Camp Fire death toll rises to 48 (video)110814.11.2018, 13:15
Death toll rises to 42 in California’s Camp Fire (photo, video)136513.11.2018, 11:25