The Latest: Death toll rises to 43 in aftermath of Florence
Authorities say the death toll has now risen to 43 dead in the aftermath of former Hurricane Florence.
A statement released by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper’s office said Friday evening that there are now 32 confirmed dead in that state. The statement says a 46-year-old man in Brunswick County died when a tree he was cutting fell on him. Other deaths have been reported earlier in South Carolina and Virginia.
Cooper, meanwhile, has praised efforts of first responders who evacuated people from rising floodwaters. His statement says that in the past week, first responders and emergency teams have conducted nearly 5,000 rescues in storm-ravaged areas. That’s twice as many people as were saved after Hurricane Matthew.
About 56,000 homes and business remain without power as of Friday afternoon.
Bare-breasted, silver-painted ‘Mariannes’ confront police in Paris (photo, video)256Yesterday, 19:25
France: 25 arrested ahead of Yellow Vest protests277Yesterday, 13:50
Protesters besiege Hungarian parliament, clash with police over ‘slave law’ (photo, video)67614.12.2018, 13:25
Strasbourg gunman told the taxi driver that his attack was motivated by a desire to avenge96613.12.2018, 16:00
A High-Speed Train Crash in the Turkish Capital Has Killed 4 and Injured 43 (photo, video)99113.12.2018, 10:55
Strasbourg shooting: Gunman at large after three killed and 12 injured (video)121412.12.2018, 10:05